Internet Explorer is the most widely used internet browser even today when Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera are catching up fast. I usually use all the browsers for my work. There was a task assigned to me that I had to find a way to password protect Internet Explorer such that when we want to browse the internet, it asks for a password before continuing. I have found a way and want to share it here.
Basically Internet Explorer 8 has got many enhancements and one enhancement is its Content Advisor. It has been improved a lot. To enable password protection in Internet Explorer, follow the steps below:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Go to Tools –> Internet Options –> Content
- Under Content Advisor, click Enable.
- Create a new admin password and a hint. Hint can be a message to the user who is opening a site in Internet Explorer.
- Adjust the ratings slider to None so that no website can be opened without a password.
- In General Tab make sure you have checked “Supervisor can type a password to allow users to view restricted content.
- Always allow the site to be viewed without the password.
- Always allow that specific webpage to be viewed without the password.
- Allow the site to open one time only.
You can select any option of your choice. Enjoy the “trouble free security” of Internet Explorer 🙂