Chiranjib from India asks about the Windows XP restart problem when booting. Here’s the complete problem he has mentioned:
Few days before my friends computer was not booting properly. When switching on the cpu it showed the manufacturer’s logo and option came like safe mode, start window normally. Last known good configuration. If any of the option selected the process restarts again and again. Safe mode option not effective too. It could not reach the desktop. Where may cd the problem?
This usually happens because some critical error occurs and the Windows ceases operation in order to save you from any hardware damage. This critical error is called Blue Screen of Death in the Microsoft world. There are two situations where you can get these Blue Screens of Death (abbreviated as BSOD):
1) During Startup
If you are encountering the automatically restart problem before you can logon to Windows, then you should follow the steps below in order to troubleshoot the problem:
- Start your computer and keep tapping F8 to get the advanced Operating System Options.
- In the Options, select “Disable Automatically Restart Windows“, Windows will start loading.
- Now most probably you’ll get a Blue Screen of Death like the picture below:
On this screen you will find useful information about what was the cause of this critical error that Windows has encountered. The most important information from the BSOD is the following:
- The faulting module or file name (SPCMDCON.SYS in picture)
- The name of the fault (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA in picture)
- Stop Error Code (0x00000050 in picture)
If you get all this info, you can easily get what your problem is. Here is a list of most popular Stop error codes and their possible solutions.
2)Randomly After Logging In
If you can log in to your Windows system and the system restarts randomly, then do the following:
- Right Click My Computer –> Properties –> Advanced –> Startup And Recovery –> Settings
- Under System Failure, uncheck “Automatically Restart” as shown in the picture below:
Now if the system gets a critical error, it will not automatically restart. It will show you the Blue Screen of Death from which you can get the Stop error code and other information to troubleshoot the cause. You can see the list of most popular Stop error codes. If you have any problems, please leave a comment here. Then we can solve the problem collaboratively.